Thursday, June 2, 2011

salsa and sentimental hearts.

I am considering a few things. one of which, is I hope that when I am a grandmother, I have garage sales every weekend. I am pretty sure I want to scout out random treasures and lay them out on tables, serve chips and salsa, and garage-sale-it-up as much as I can. I might even wear a visor. I am pretty excited about this. my family has always made homemade salsa to sell at our garage sales. it is one of the random little things that I love about my Mexican family. we have a bowl of it out with some chips for people to try, and then we have about a dozen jars of it for people to buy. they'd always sell out literally within minutes. we've got that magic touch. it is called "nana's salsa". my nana has the greatest salsa recipe ever. or at least I thought she did until chris got his hands on it and made it better. no offense nana, that's just what chris does. at least you're not married to him. anyway, next weekend we get to contribute jars of salsa to a friend's garage sale and let's just say I'm pretty pumped about it. pumped, do people still say that?

it has been said that one can make any house a home. I am learning this, as I move from one location to the next, always waiting for that house. the house that is in my mind. this house will surely be mine one day. until then, this apartment is my home. that is ok with me. it is roomy, it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer, it has our totally amazing decor keeping it real. the kids each have their own room, which is vital since Moses still wakes up quite a bit and if they were in the same room waking each other up, I might just run far far away. ah yes, I am ok here. I am sure of it. even the sound of the kid upstairs running laps has become apart of the coziness. ok not really, that dude needs a leash tied to a tree if you ask me.

for those of you who don't know. I am an extremely sentimental person. like seriously sentimental.

sen·ti·men·tal [sen-tuh-men-tl]
–adjective
1.
expressive of or appealing to sentiment, especially the tender emotions and feelings, as love, pity, or nostalgia: a sentimental song.
2.
pertaining to or dependent on sentiment: We kept the old photograph for purely sentimental reasons.
3.
weakly emotional; mawkishly susceptible or tender

you can define me with number 3. just call me mawkishly susceptible from now on ok? I am so sentimental, I'll keep a piece of toilet paper if it really means something to me. (I am not a hoarder, do not confuse sentimental awesomeness with hoarding, don't do it. do I need to post the definition of "hoarder" as well?)

today I glanced down at my wedding rings that my mother had passed down to me and started thinking about passing them down to Vaelyn. I thought, what if none of my kids end up being sentimental? not all people are sentimental right? as a super strong feeler, (I am not a thinker. I think a lot, but only about what I feel) I can not imagine what it would be like to not be sentimental. Vaelyn might find the rings ugly, old fashioned, she may want something totally different and not even care if they end up in a pawn shop somewhere. Moses might not care about them either. they might not care about their scrapbooks or about anything that I've kept for them. (although I can't imagine moses not wanting to show his girlfriends his first-haircut-whispies in a plastic bag) what a strange thought. I've always been that way too. I remember being four and carrying stuffed animals around the store, explaining to them that I couldn't rescue them but reassuring them that someone surely would. I remember getting new shoes and telling my old ones "don't worry I won't forget about you, I'll still wear you". I suddenly feel like I'm sharing too much.

"what can you do with a sentimental heart?"- S&H

4 comments:

  1. my mother in law is SO that garage sale type you speak of. She has one almost every other weekend and takes off the day before from work so she can tag all of her items. it's exhausting, just watching her!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't comment on this before. I remember reading it and thinking about you as an old lady on the corner with your awesome garage sale and salsa. I wish I could say I'd be right there with you but you might be there selling all my crap :) oops, I prolly shouldn't have mentioned that I'm older and so therefore I get to see Jesus sooner. Nope. Ok moving on. I love you and your beautiful heart. I bet you will have at least one sentimental heart in your mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha this is your old lady thing. And I will be sittin next to you cussing out your customers for being so Damn cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I am loving reading your blog! So how does your sentimental heart do with garage sales? Do you decide to sell things and then when someone wants to buy them you try to pry them from the poor lady's hands. Not that I've done that - but I could totally see myself doing it with certain sentimental items...

    ReplyDelete